News of interest to Foreign Readers
Is there any further explanation about the following News? Sure, click the linked stories.
Click here to see previously posted News.
- On Jul. 8, 2016, Seoul and Washington agreed to deploy the U.S.-led Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (Thaad) system in Korea, a move aimed at countering North Korean nuclear and missile threats, which prompted immediate opposition from China and Russia.
- On Jun. 24, the Korean people's sense of anxiety soared when they heard the news of the United Kingdom's decision to leave the European Union as well as North Korea's successful launching of the medium-range ballistic missile, Musudan.
- On Jun. 21, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport announced that it will expand Gimhae International Airport instead of building a new facility in the southeastern region, which was dictated by President Park's decade-long promise, based on a feasibility study conducted by a French company, ADPI.
- On Jun. 8, the government disclosed that the ailing shipping and shipbuilding industries will go through their restructuring plans with the fund up to 12 trillion won (U$10.3 billion) to be financed by the central bank to assist the industries' main creditors - KDB and Korea Eximbank.
- On May 29, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon visited Hahoe Folk Village, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, in Andong, while he led all potential presidential contenders in a poll after he made the strongest hint yet of a possible run in next year's presidential election.
Scorching summer heat is welcomed by
Blue balloon flowers (도라지)
with roots strengthened
further than before.